Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

My Love for Food

New Orleans Bread Pudding

A few days ago following my last blog post, I stopped cooking like a person obsessed. I felt like I had to get the hotel/cooking story out of my system and I believe writing about my experience helped. I may have burnt myself out (no pun intended) a little bit on cooking after doing it so much for these 3 months, but I know it will pass. 

I earned a girl scout badge in cooking--it's been a while. Here's a hint: GS cookies were 75 cents a box (I think?). I made bread pudding to complete the badge requirement from a recipe my grandma gave me. I can't visualize the final product, and I don't have the sash with my cooking badge after a fire, but my point is my desire to cook manifested itself a long time ago. 

I have to mention the influence of my food-loving dad. My dad experimented with food a lot when I was a kid. I've written in this blog before about my dad's influence on my cooking. My dad is a major foodie and gourmet cook. I am fortunate to have hundreds of his recipes on file. When I was a child in Chicago-land we ate a variety of ethnic foods. Indian food, Chinese food, Italian food, guacamole, ice cream sundaes, and more. Food adventures. 

Food was also something that brought us together at my grandma's house, my dad's mom. My most vivid memories are of her offering us a ham sandwich on white bread and a soda. And cookies. She always had cookies. I can still see the now vintage set of "straw" cups on top of her fridge. She also had lots of good candies and sweets around the holidays. Food was enjoyed.

I've looked into cooking school, selling food/cooking from home, catering, etc. But I think I'm a happy home cook who very much enjoys this creative process. 

Enjoy your food!