Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Dad's Shrimp Paulista

My Dad is a gourmet cook who creates delicious meals every day. He simply loves to cook and has a wonderfully stocked kitchen and pantry. When I was a kid I remember him making guacamole, ice cream sundaes with all the toppings, Chinese food, and one particular mystery recipe. It was a chocolate looking liquid substance he was pouring into ice cubes trays and then placing into the freezer. He can't remember what it was but it sure left an impression on me. He also emails recipes to me and I stash them away on my computer. This shrimp recipe goes with this Green Onion Risotto recipe--both from Dad's files. Bon Appetit!

Ingredients:
2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (reserve the shells)
4 tablespoons lime juice
1 lime
½ cup chopped cilantro,divided
6 garlic cloves, minced and divided
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil

Prepare a broth with the shrimp shells by boiling them in 6 cups of water for 15 minutes. Remove the shells and strain through a fine strainer several times.

Place shrimp in a bowl and toss with lime juice, ¼ cup cilantro, 3 garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper flakes. Refrigerate for 25 minutes (while cooking the risotto).

Place oil in a large sauté pan. Add shrimp, marinade, and remaining garlic. Sauté until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining cilantro, salt, and pepper flakes.

Serve in a large bowl on top of the risotto. Garnish with lime wedges and chopped cilantro.