Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Carrot Nut Bread (Makes 2 Loaves)

I like it when bread recipes make two loaves and this is one of those recipes. You can freeze one loaf or cut it into slices and freeze slices individually as I often do. I modified this recipe from one I found at www.preparedpantry.com to make it a little healthier. Think of this as a healthier version of carrot cake.



Ingredients:
2 cups grated carrots (I used a food processor)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup skim milk
3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare two medium loaf pans with cooking spray or you can grease them with butter.

Grate and measure the carrots and set aside. Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.

Whip the eggs together in a medium bowl. Stir the sugar in and then add the oil, vanilla, and milk. Make a depression in the dry ingredients and add the wet mixture along with the carrots and nuts. Mix with a spatula until combined.

Divide the batter between the two loaf pans. Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees or until the loaves test done when a toothpick is inserted in the middle of the loaves. Remove the loaves from the pans and cool on wire racks. This bread makes a great gift.