Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Chicken Chili

I love making chili in the fall when it begins to get cold, as many of us do. This is a recipe that is not written down anywhere, so the ingredient amounts are just estimates. You can easily change up chili ingredients and use your creativity. This recipe is for Jeremy, my friend and former neighbor.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large bell pepper
1 large onion
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 can black beans
1 can chili hot beans
1 can red kidney beans
1 large can (29oz) stewed tomatoes
1 cup water
1 teaspoon sugar (to cut the acidity)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
pepper to taste
2-3 cooked chicken breasts, shredded into bite-sized pieces

Saute the onions and bell pepper in olive oil over medium to medium high heat until tender and have touches of brown. Add the garlic and cook for a few more minutes. (Be careful not to burn the garlic, trust me, it's easy to do.) Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and water. Add the sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Let this mixture cook for about an hour on medium-low. Add the shredded chicken and cook for another hour.

Possible toppings: apple cider vinegar, fat-free sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese, onion, and cilantro. Oh, I'm not a cracker fan, but you might want to have some saltines or oyster crackers on hand for those who are.