Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Too hot? Make this Simple Cilantro Slaw

It is wicked hot and humid here in the DC area. I thought this slaw sounded great for a steamy summer day. No stove or oven required. I'll probably cheat and buy pre-shredded cabbage.

1 small head cabbage, finely shredded
1 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 cucumber, chopped
1/2 cup salad oil (I used canola)
1/3 cup lime juice
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced, or pressed
salt/pepper to taste


Mix cabbage, onion, and cilantro. Peel, seed, and chop cucumber; add to cabbage mixture. (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate cabbage mixture for up to 1 day.)

Dressing: Whisk together salad oil, lime juice, and garlic. If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; stir to reblend before using. Stir dressing into cabbage mixture; pile into a bowl or onto a platter. Season to taste with salt and pepper.