Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Effie's Congo Squares / Happy 100th Birthday Effie!

Effie, the best cook in North Carolina, turns 100 today.  In tribute to Effie, I'm posting her congo squares recipe from the cookbook that was decicated to her. Happy birthday, Effie!

1 1/8 stick margarine
1 box light brown sugar
3 eggs
1 pkg. (6 oz.) chocolate chips
2 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. nuts

Melt margarine.  Add sugar and cool.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add flour, baking powder and salt.  Fold in chocolate chips and nuts.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes in a 10x15 inch pan. After it's done, wait 10 minutes before cutting.