Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Creamy Cocoa Cheesecake

For a time, this cheesecake was my go to "fancy" dessert. I haven't made it in years until today, and was inspired by a photo I saw of a peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake. I will have to make it another time because today is all about cream cheese, sour cream, and cocoa. I'd forgotten about the sweet sour cream topping on this creamy cocoa cheesecake. Adds a nice touch. The original recipe is from my 1981 Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cookbook. I changed up the original and used the following ingredients.

Preheat the oven to 375.

Crust:
1 1/4 cup crushed graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar in a small bowl. Press firmly onto the bottom of a springform pan.

Filling:
1 8 oz package low-fat cream cheese 
1 8 oz package regular cream cheese
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey's)
1 teaspoon Penzey's Mexican vanilla
2 eggs

In a large bowl, blend all ingredients well with electric mixer. Pour into crust.
Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven.

Topping:
1 cup low-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon Penzey's Mexican vanilla

Increase the oven temp to 425. Stir together the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla in a small bowl. Carefully spread the sour cream mixture evenly over the top of the cheesecake. Bake for 10 more minutes and remove from oven. Let cool for 20 minutes and remove the rim from cheesecake, and slide the cheesecake off of the baking pan onto a plate, and chill. Cut and serve. Sprinkle with cocoa powder.