Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Virginia Wine Jelly

This recipe is a bit of a mystery. I don't know how this jelly got its name but I'm pretty sure you don't have to use wine from Virginia to make it. Use small, glass, jelly jars with a ring & seal for the lid. This red wine jelly make a great gift and even better, its homemade.

Ingredients:
2 gelatin envelopes
1 cup cold water
l cup sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 cups boiling water
2 cups red wine

Soak gelatin in cold water. Add sugar, lemon juice and 2 cups boiling water. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add wine. Stir, pour into jars, and chill in the fridge overnight. This soft, textured jelly is delicious served with the ever popular fruitcake or other cakes. Makes 5 glass jars.