Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Greek Salad & Dressing

I worked at a Greek restaurant in the suburbs of Chicago when I was a teenager. I was strongly influenced by the food prepared by Greek cooks. I learned to love feta cheese, cream of chicken soup with rice, Greek salad, Athenian steak, and last, but certainly not least, lemon. Lots of lemon. This recipe makes a flavorful Greek salad that doesn't use lettuce but instead, includes tomato, red onion, and feta cheese. 

Salad:
1 lb grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced 
1 cup Greek feta cheese, crumbled

Dressing:
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove
1/2 small shallot, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 large basil leaf
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt & freshly ground pepper

In a food processor or blender, combine the red wine vinegar with the garlic clove, shallot, mustard, oregano, thyme and basil and puree until smooth. With the machine on, slowly add the olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, combine the tomato halves, sliced onion and crumbled feta cheese. Toss with the vinaigrette and serve the salad immediately.

I learned this word at the Greek restaurant--Opa! 
A Greek word or pronouncement of celebration; the celebration of life itself.