Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Effie's Cranberry Salad

Effie is the best cook in the state of North Carolina as you may recall from my previous posts about her.  Here is another of her wonderful down home recipes from the cookbook her church dedicated to her.  And I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for a way to use up celery.

1 box lemon Jell-O
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
1 cup chopped celery
1 pint cranberries
2 oranges (segmented)
1 cup nuts (I think walnuts or pecans would be good)
1 cup chopped apples

Grind the cranberries in a food processor or blender and put in a large bowl.  Mix in the Jell-O.  Add the water and all remaining ingredients.  Put in a mold to set.