Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Mom's Chicken Soup

After a brief hiatus due to being crazy busy at work, lizzycooks is back. And, I'm happy to open 2013 by showcasing my Mom's chicken soup recipe!  There's not much better than Mom's chicken soup, am I right?

I prefer to use chicken breasts as opposed to a whole chicken, and prefer the crock pot for this easy recipe.  When the soup cools a bit, you can pour it into smaller lunch-size containers and freeze them individually.  Grab one out of the freezer on the way to work in the morning and you've got a quick, warm, and nourishing lunch.

1 whole chicken or 2 chicken breasts, raw
1 container of chicken broth
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
2 raw potatoes, cubed
1 cup raw carrots or any other veggies such as cabbage, mushrooms, etc.
1 cup celery including leaf tips, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped or more according to your taste
1 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Add about 5 peppercorns, if desired.

Put all ingredients into a crock pot or pot on stove, adding meat first. Let come to boil and then simmer for about two hours if on stove. If in crock pot, cook on high for about 3 hours. Add parsley, thyme, and marjoram about 15 minutes before soup is done. Use fresh parsley if you have it. You can add cooked leftover rice, spaghetti, couscous, barley, etc. at the end too. Season to your taste, and throw a sprig of fresh rosemary on the bowl to be cool.