Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Sweet But Not Too Spicy Candied Pecans

A friend gave me this idea for a homemade gift so I thought I'd cook up a batch and put some in Mason jars with a ribbon. The recipe is easy. The egg white helps the sugar and spices stick to the pecans while the sugars caramelize and harden. You get all of the salty, sweet, and spicy tastes when munching on these delicious pecans.

3 cups pecan halves
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 egg white

Preheat oven to 300. Whisk together the sugars, cinnamon, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. 

In a larger bowl, whisk the egg white gently then add the pecans. Stir to coat the pecans well with the egg white. Add the sugar mixture to the pecans and stir well. 

Add the pecans to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and flatten them out. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove the pan from the oven and stir them up a bit, and continue to cook for 20 more minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooking rack until pecans are cooled down.