Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Cheese-y Mac 'n Cheese

This was my first attempt at homemade mac 'n cheese and I'm happy to report it was absolutely delicious, if I don't say so myself. As you can see from the ingredients this is some very cheesy mac 'n cheese. I never ate the orange stuff in a box when I was a poor college student and only recently discovered how delicious mac 'n cheese can actually be. Whoa. This recipe makes a huge batch-about 10-12 servings.

I used sharp cheddar and parmesan cheese in this recipe, and added some applewood smoked ham. A variety cheeses, meats, and other ingredients, such as jalepenos, can also be used for a great mac 'n cheese aside from the ingredients in this recipe. Side note: don't use pre-grated cheese in this dish. Freshly grated is the only way to go here.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
3 cups water
3 cups 2% milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
5 cups sea shell pasta, uncooked
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground dry mustard
4 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups applewood smoked ham, cut into bite-sized pieces
Salt & pepper to taste

Melt butter over medium heat in a 4 quart saucepan or large pot. Stir in the flour until combined and cook for about a minute. Add the first cup of water and stir until completely smooth and it starts to thicken. Slowly add the remaining water, milk, and cream. Stir in until everything is thoroughly combined. Add pasta, salt, garlic powder, and mustard. Stir until mixture reaches a low simmer, then turn heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses and ham. 

Serve right away. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This dish is creamy, hearty, and filling. It goes well fresh fruit on the side. Enjoy!