Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Dad's Greek Salad

My Dad is a gourmet cook and this recipe is from his stash. My Chicago days included a stint as a waitress at a Greek restaurant where I learned to love Greek food. Athenian steaks, feta cheese, Greek salads, cream of chicken soup with rice and lots of lemon, and more. There was also some pouring of ouzo in the back room as I recall. This is my Dad's recipe so I didn't edit it but if I did, I'd leave out the olives. I've just never been fond as described here. Opa!

Dressing:
1/3 c olive oil
1 tsp marjoram
1 garlic clove, minced
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
1 TBSP lemon juice
salt and pepper

Whisk all ingredients together.

Salad:
1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
1 cucumber (or ½ English cucumber), sliced
½ red onion, sliced thin
½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
2-3 tomatoes, sliced or cut into thin wedges
10 fresh mint leaves
6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
12-16 kalamata olives
4 mild pepperoncini peppers, whole

Combine salad ingredients in a bowl and toss with the dressing. Serves 4.