Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Marinara Sauce

Red sauce, tomato sauce, gravy, marinara. It goes by various names. Is there any difference? I started to read and found a lot of information and opinions out there. It seems there are subtle differences in these sauces with one thing in common: it usually goes with pasta or pizza. Marinara sauce is simpler with fewer ingredients than a heavier red sauce, and marinara doesn't include tomato sauce or paste. It also cooks faster. I use this marinara as a base sauce for homemade pizza.


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped fine
5 vine-ripened tomatoes, cored & quartered
2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
Kosher salt to taste

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add garlic and onion and saute in oil until light brown. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, oregano, and salt. Lower heat to medium-low and mash the tomatoes to help them break down, depending on how chunky you like your marinara sauce. Cook the sauce for 30 minutes.