Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Potato Pancakes

I'd never made potato pancakes until today. I've had them in restaurants and always chose sour cream versus applesauce as my topping. This is a small batch recipe that made the 7 small (3") pancakes in the photo. 

1 large Yukon gold potato
1/2 large yellow onion
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
Pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons flour
Chives for garnish
Vegetable oil

Grate the potato and onion on the large holes of your grater into a medium bowl. Drain and squeeze out the liquid. Add the egg, salt, pepper and flour to the potato mixture. Stir together the ingredients until well blended. 

In a large pan, heat 1/4" of vegetable oil over medium-high heat. The oil needs to be just right or the potatoes won't cook enough or evenly, so be sure you let the oil heat up for a couple of minutes before adding the potatoes. 

Drop 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten with a spatula so the pancake is 1/2" thick. Cook until golden brown and flip once. This just takes a couple of minutes on each side, depending on your stove. Season with salt.