Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Garlic Lovers Tzatziki

Following my experience with some excellent tzatziki at a local food truck recently, I was craving a thicker and creamier version and mixed this up today. I'll continue to play around with the amounts of sour cream and yogurt in future recipes. This recipe uses low-fat sour cream and yogurt instead of yogurt only. Next time I make it I'll add more sour cream and reduce the amount of yogurt.  You can find my recipe for another version of tzatziki here

Good news--you don't need to peel or seed the cucumber! 

1 1/4 cups cucumber, grated and drained (1 medium cucumber)
1 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt

Grate the cucumber and let it drain in a strainer. Squeeze the water out or the tzatziki will be too watery. Mix up all the ingredients and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving. Serve with toasted pita bread triangles and bite-sized veggies. Tzatziki also goes well with crackers and gyros sandwiches.