Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Coconut Nutella Macaroons

The other day I was having a coconut craving so I bought a package of coconut at the grocery store. I wasn't sure what type of coconut recipe I was going to make but then I saw the macaroon recipe on the back of the package of coconut. It looked easy and didn't require many ingredients so I decided to make them. Then I thought--what's even better than coconut macaroons? Coconut Nutella macaroons! If you are not familiar with Nutella, it's a thick, smooth, hazelnut-chocolate spread. I made 30 macaroons with this recipe but you may get more if you follow the directions. (I think mine were bigger than a tablespoon.) Macaroons freeze well. 

Ingredients:
1 package (14 oz.) Baker's Angel Flake Coconut
2/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup Nutella

Preheat oven to 325. Grease baking sheets; set aside. Combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt in large bowl. Stir in egg whites and almond extract until well blended.

Drop coconut mixture into 36 mounds, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets, using about 1 tablespoon of the coconut mixture for each mound. 

Bake 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheets to wire racks. Cool completely. 

Warm 1/2 cup of Nutella in a shallow bowl in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Dip the top half of the macaroons into the bowl and let cool for another 30 minutes.