Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Cooking Tips from Effie's Cookbook

As promised, here are some cool cooking tips from my new cookbook dedicated to Effie. You can read more about her in my post "Effie Cooks Pecan Chess Pie". Rumor has it Effie is the best cook in North Carolina.

1. Keep a recipe card upright by placing it in the tines of a fork and putting the fork handle in a glass.

2. Put cold oil in a hot pan so food won't stick.

3. When you boil water, place a lid on the pot and the water will come to a boil in a shorter period of time.

4. Use dental floss to cut cakes, especially delicate, sticky ones that tend to adhere to the knife.

5. Applesauce is a great fat substitute for low fat baking. Simply substitute half the fat in a recipe with an equal measure of applesauce.

6. To keep a recipe card clean, place it under an upside-down glass pie plate. Also, the curved bottom magnifies the print.