Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Black Pepper Shrimp

I have never forgotten this "fancy" and delicious black pepper shrimp recipe my Mom made for me as a special birthday treat when I turned 18. Remember how shrimp scampi was the "in" seafood dish back in the day? This isn't exactly scampi, but it is similar, and this particular recipe comes from Paula Deen. I would squeeze some lemon over the shrimp before serving with a nice sourdough bread and a salad.

3 pounds fresh shrimp, unpeeled
8 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
4 tablespoons freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Wash and drain shrimp and place in shallow baking pan. In a saucepan, melt the butter, add the garlic, and saute for 3-4 minutes. Pour the butter mixture over the shrimp and toss to coat. Pepper shrimp until well covered. Bake in oven at 450 until pink, about 5 minutes, turn, bake a few minutes longer and pepper again. You must use a heavy hand with the pepper.