Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Effie Cooks Pecan Chess Pie

I know a very special woman named Effie who is 96 and bakes pies several times a week. Effie lives in North Carolina and her church recently dedicated their cookbook to her. Effie has been an active member of her church for over 65 years and in 1945 held the founding meeting of the church's women's group at her home--how cool is that? I was one of the fortunate recipients to receive a copy of this special cookbook, signed by Effie, which includes some of her recipes. I will be posting some of Effie's recipes along with some great cooking tips from the cookbook in upcoming posts...so stay tuned.

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 stick margarine
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
2 eggs
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix together sugar and flour. Add melted margarine, milk, vanilla, eggs, and pecans. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

Keep on cookin' Effie!