Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Dad's Baked BBQ Ribs


I think my Dad was a gourmet chef in a previous life. He loves to cook and often sends me recipes. He has every cooking gadget known to exist, alphabetizes his spice rack, and adores Julia Child. I don't know how many cookbooks he has, but I'm guessing a lot. He even has a 10-year old neighbor across the street that yearns to cook with him--and I just know this kid's going to be a chef someday.

These baby back ribs are moist, juicy, and very tasty. The meat easily falls off the bone. I first made these ribs during the winter when I was missing summer grilling. It was the first time I'd used a dry rub and it was a nice alternative. These yummy ribs are really flavor-packed.

For the dry rub:
8 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP chili powder
½ tsp black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder

3 lbs ribs, preferably baby back
Favorite BBQ sauce (I use KC Masterpiece Hickory and Brown Sugar)

Mix all dry rub ingredients together and rub liberally over front and back of the ribs. Place the ribs on a large plate or baking dish, cover with foil and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet (lined with foil) or baking dish. Add the “juice” from the plate and seal tightly with foil. (Hint: Spray the foil so it does not stick to the ribs.)

Roast the ribs at 300 degrees for 2 ½ to 3 hours. Raise the temperature to 350 degrees. Remove the foil and brush with the BBQ sauce.

Roast for an additional 15 minutes uncovered.
Goes great with cole slaw and potato salad.