Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Toasted Ciabatta with Balsamic Syrup

I really like vinegar. I love balsamic vinegar. Balsamic syrup is even better. It's sweet and goes well with most everything.


1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
12 (1/2-inch) thick slices ciabatta bread
2 tablespoons butter

Boil the balsamic vinegar and 3 tablespoons of sugar in a heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.

Toast the bread slices. Spread the butter over the toasts. Arrange the toasts on a platter. Drizzle the reduced balsamic syrup over the toasts then sprinkle with a little more sugar, and serve.


Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis