Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

In one of my first blog posts I told you my Dad is a gourmet cook and major foodie. This recipe, for a most delicious and rich cake, came from a class he took at the CIA in Napa Valley, CA. No, not that CIA, the Culinary Institute of America.

Ingredients:
8 eggs
8 oz butter
1 lb bitter sweet chocolate

Grease the sides of a cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

Whip eggs on high speed until double in volume, about 5 minutes.

Over a hot water bath, melt the butter and chocolate. (Tip: Melt the butter first, then add the chocolate.)

Fold 1/3 of egg mixture into the chocolate until only a few streaks of egg are visible. Fold in remaining eggs 1/3 at a time and mix thoroughly.

Pour batter into cake pan. Bake in a hot water bath at 350 degrees until the edges are just beginning to set (approximately 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature is 140 degrees).

Cool in the pan and refrigerate overnight or freeze for one hour. Warm slightly to remove from cake pan. Dust the top with powdered sugar to decorate.