Recipes and cooking commentary with a touch of humor.

Welcome to lizzycooks!

I love to cook. I collect recipes and cookbooks, enjoy food photography, and adore trying new restaurants. All of this food love inspired me to start this blog where I share my favorite recipes, cooking tips, and other fun stuff. Enjoy your food!

Insalata Caprese - A Simple Italian Salad

This is a simple Italian salad in the colors of the Italian flag. The key is to use homegrown basil and tomatoes, and always fresh mozzarella! 

6 slices tomatoes
6 slices fresh mozzarella cheese 
6-8 fresh basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt

Divide 6 slices of fresh mozzarella on 2 small salad plates. Top the cheese with a slice of tomato and add a basil leaf for the top layer. Drizzle oil and vinegar over the salad. Sprinkle with Kosher salt, chill for 30 minutes, and serve.